A Quick Explanation of Book Combat
One of the defining features of Author Adventure is the book-based combat system. This system allows for hundreds, if not thousands, of options during combat to change the way particular characters fight, and, by using it correctly, can really give a strategic edge in during battle.
Each character has three options during battle: Offense, Defense and Run. For the sake of this post we will be ignoring the third option. If one of the other options is selected, a menu appears with four slots, either containing offensive (damaging) spells, or defensive (buffing/debuffing/healing) spells. The first option in each category is preset, but the other three are fully customizable.
The first option is always based on the character and changes as they level up. This option contains a spell based on a novel or short story written by the currently selected author. For example, Shakespeare could have the spell “Insanity” (based on the play Hamlet) which confuses an enemy to possibly attack a fellow enemy. As the game advances, however, these spells become less useful because the party will be facing stronger opponents. To compensate for this, at set levels the characters will “write” new stories and thus gain new spells, replacing the old ones. This will require changes in strategies as players continue further into the game, making the play experience much more interesting.
That is simply two of the eight slots available to each character, so what of the other six? These come from enemies. Every enemy in the game is based on an antagonist from a famous piece of literature and, upon death, may drop a copy of their respective story for the player to keep. The player can then equip these books on their characters, extracting the book’s spell for use during combat. Each book can contain an offensive or defensive spell, and some even contain both. This allows for extreme customization in each of the character’s book “loadouts”. We are still undecided on the total number of enemies (and thus the number of books) available, but there will be somewhere around 50 different equipable books or so.
This described the basics of finding and equipping books, but the spells they contain are another story. The system used in Author Adventure allows for many unique spell types with differing properties and interesting uses, but that is for another time. Keep your eyes on this blog as it is updated with more information regarding Author Adventure!
- There's something special about watching the crossfit games while eating bacon. 6 days ago
- RT @Bucks: Dunks return in 3.5 hours. #OwnTheFuture http://t.co/XoPHONl4v5 3 weeks ago
- Ryan Reynolds is a Green Bay Packers fan! But really, who isn’t? 3 weeks ago
- “Textin’ exes/ filin’ taxes / drankin’ champa-ay / investin’ IRA” 3 weeks ago
- Why aren’t there any tracks about fiscally responsible rappers? 3 weeks ago
- RT @Haikasoru: LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES v2, Ambition, and v3 Endurance, will also appear in 2016. We're going to binge-publish! 1 week ago
- RT @Haikasoru: LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROS v1: DAWN—March 8, 2016. 1 week ago
- I haven't used Twitter in ten months because I forgot my password and didn't care enough to reset it. 2 weeks ago
- RT @HulkHogan: Me and all my friends at the 10pm Ninga Turtle movie brother HH http://t.co/RS46oCuuSe 10 months ago